As we look forward to the coming of summer, we must always keep in mind what to do to keep you and your loved ones safe during those high- temperature days.
First and foremost, everyone (especially seniors and people with disabilities) should be cautious and vigilant to not become overheated. Stay cool by remaining indoors with air conditioning and fans during the hottest times of the day, and remember to not perform any type of strenuous activities in excessive heat, such as mowing the lawn.
Since you may be running your fans more and your air conditioning lower and longer, it is also wisely frugal and economically important to keep an eye on how much you are spending on energy through these hot days.
Below are some tips on how you can lower your energy costs and save money during the summer.
- Turn it off if you’re not using it! You could save 2% on your electric bill.
- Unplug appliances that aren’t in use—they still draw electricity.
- Replace air conditioning filters once a month.
- When re-charging cell phones (or other re-chargeable devices), only leave them plugged in as long as it takes to get a full charge.
- Consider installing a whole house fan to save up to 5% on electricity.
- Install window shades or film to keep your house cooler. Shade trees may also help.
- Inspect your cooling ducts for leaks and seal them—this could save up to 20%.
- Be sure to adjust your outdoor lighting timers to save money since it is daylight longer.
- Check and re-install weather stripping, seals, and caulk.
- Set your thermostat to 74 when you’re home and 80 when you’re away to conserve.
- Use ceiling fans to keep rooms cooler.
- Keep the blinds drawn to cool down your house.
- Install low-flow fixtures in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Invest in low-flow toilets.
- Choose efficient shower heads.
Protect Your Home With Homeowners Insurance
Taking some steps to conserve some energy during the summer is not only good for your bottom line but it will make your home ownership a happy and healthy experience.
Be sure to also protect yourself with affordable home insurance. Contact us today to learn how Bock Agency can help with your homeowners' policy. We offer home insurance tailored to your needs in North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania including the Greensburg, Irwin, N. Huntingdon, Pittsburgh, and Trafford areas. Request a homeowners insurance quote today.